Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Productive Weekend!

Hey there,

So, I am really excited that I am slowly starting to get through all of my projects. This is my project board.


I know, it's crazy. And it doesn't even start to list the non quilting projects I have in mind or need to finish. Yes, I know. I'm a little addicted. I am reminded of the regularly.

But I did finish up a dog bed this weekend for my baby. I haven't been letting him have his rug in the living room because I have been using it to cut fabric quite a bit, so I thought I owed him something soft to lay on when he wants to whine at me.

I also finished up the second of the three quilts from the first group of children rescued from slavery in Ghana by Mercy Project.


This one is going to the director's family. I'm really excited to have this finished and can't wait to get it over to the family. While it isn't the best job of quilting I have done, I do like the back.


It has signatures from all different supporters, children and adults, of Mercy Project at our church. I really like it. I would have been able to give it to them today, but the mom and dad just got to spend a few days with their adopted son in Ghana while they wait for paperwork to clear. It has been kinda crazy for them with everything, but they are praying that they get to bring their son home in the fall.

I also got all the color fabric cutting done for a new quilt I am starting with my yellow and blue batiks. I'm calling it "Night Sky" and it is based off of the Sparkle Punch pattern by Elizabeth Hartman found in Fon's and Porter's The Art of Quilting. I'm going to expand the pattern to fit a queen sized bed, as well as try to make it a little more random. Yes, I love the random. I'm using a black background, which I haven't started cutting. I also am going to use a blue and yellow scrappy binding for it. I really do love scrappy bindings, so it will be fun, especially with the black. I kinda want to work on getting some of the items on that list of doom up there cleared off, especially since I am going to be moving soon. This quilt doesn't have to be finished right now, just finished sometime.

The next quilt I started this weekend (yes, I know, addict) is the Aiming for Accuracy quilt. I am using my pink, orange, and purple batiks for this one and found this awesome dark chocolate fabric to go with it. Unless it's held next to black, you can't tell it is black, which is awesome. It just is a little softer than if I had gone with black. And mind you, I drug all of these fabrics to the fabric store to find the best color. I think I am going to wait until the sale in a few weeks to get the backing fabric for this, which I would like to be the same color. This quilt might end up being a present, so the idea that it is all fancy and such is nice.

And if all of this isn't enough, I also worked on gridding and cutting shirts for a t-shirt quilt I am donating to a school I worked for this last year. It isn't anything super fancy, but I am lining it with bright yellow flannel and putting both sides of the shirts in the quilt.


The fronts of the shirts will make up the front of the quilt, and the backs will make up the backs. It is very similar to my sweatshirt quilt that I made for myself. It's a three by three quilt, so I got a third of them done today. I am trying my best to make sure that I have each image centered as much as possible on the shirt, so it's taking a little more time. I like it well enough, but I am glad to get it off my board. There will be some trimming after I get everything cut out and X quilted, but right now, each block is 15" x 17". We'll see what it finally works out to be.

And yah, I was busy this weekend. I left the house for the dog park and to go grocery shopping. I know, cloistered away, but I feel really productive. I actually am working like I feel like I had thought I would be working all summer. I really want to get a lot of those projects on the list off before I leave. That way, I know that I am moving quilts, rather than lots of pieces of fabric that could get strewn from here to Seattle.

No comments:

Post a Comment