Friday, March 8, 2013

Creativi-TEA and Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

Okay, so this is another swap-bot post. I feel bad because I started out saying that this blog is going to be about my quilting, but car accident + little to no energy + simple swaps = more swap posts for right now. I might even work on sewing tonight; we'll just have to see. Probably just something really simple like chain piecing squares for one of my postage stamp quilts. :-)

But, right now, it's tea time. It's a very cool idea for a swap. You make these really cute envelopes and place a tea bag in the little envelope and mail off two of these packages to someone else who is expecting some fun tea. I think it's going to be fun. Also a really good use of the scrapbook paper that I got in a mix pack that probably won't ever make it into my scrapbooks. (I tried to flip the picture, but no such luck. Just look at it upside down...)


In other highlights of the day, I got a postcard from one of my swaps today. Yay! First postcard!



And lastly, I am working on roasting butternut squash. I got a great deal on squash on Wednesday (yes, car crash day, but beforehand) and want to get it roasted and into either soup or gnocchi here soon. It's nice to take as much time as I need. A lot of other recipes are time sensitive, but this one is nice and slow. Yay for slow.



And, I just have to post this recipe, that way that I can remember it. It turned out really awesome. I based it off of this recipe, but I modified it a lot.


Easy Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

Ingredients:
2 medium/large butternut squash
4 chicken bouillon cubes
2 cups water
2 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

I'm lazy, which is why I used the powder, rather than fresh. I'm okay with it.

1. Split the squash in half, clean out the seeds, and then roast in the oven (set at 400 degrees) until soft and the skin is starting to pull from the meat of the squash.
2. While the squash is roasting, microwave/boil the water, then dissolve the bouillon cubes in the water.
3. Separate the meat from the skin and throw the skin into a blender. Add the water, with the onion powder and garlic powder.
4. Blend until smooth.
5. Enjoy! (I put a little bit of ricotta cheese in mine, but I've also heard of sour cream, creme fresh, etc.)



No comments:

Post a Comment